Monday, August 30, 2010

Un Grand Buffet

Forest Gump said, “ Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get,” but I think life is more like

Un Grand Buffet.

We get to see and smell before we choose. Yes, I would be one of those that poke my finger in the chocolates, and…
Speaking of buffets, if the Southern Queen of cooking, Paula Deen (who I absolutely adore) can have her own furniture line, well then ya’ll can gather round for my buffet and we can engage in a little gluttony.

I am feeling very gracious, as a long time dream of mine has come true.
Victoria magazine has featured me in the Sept/Oct issue, due out tomorrow.
Like many of you, I am an avid fan of Victoria and just can’t seem to part with my old copies.
They are like old soul mates and have given me inspiration through the years.


I've always admired the creativity of the “Calling Cards” and love the profiles of the entrepreneurs.
Seemed I could always identify with the women behind the stories.

In the early 90’s, my journey started with hauling back chandeliers from the Paris flea market in my suitcase. I soon graduated to 45’ containers.
French antiques are “food for the soul” and yes, I happen to be Gourmandise!
To put my own spin on Vita’s quote from the 91 cover,
“The Country French Antique habit has me by the heart”


I’m guessing many of you to be first time visitors to my blog by way of Victoria.

Bienvenue to my Buffet! As you can tell, I’ve eaten my fair share of crème brûlée and ravaged the crispy tops of those within arms reach of me too.

People always ask me where I go antiquing in France. A girl can never divulge all her secrets, but I have been known to follow the Rhone from Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean and get lost in-between. Antique fairs, brocante markets, depot ventes and auctions all cause me to hit the brakes. I love to go deep in
the country and immerse myself in the French way of life.
 

I also brake for the auberge at noon. I’ll never forget on one of my first trips through the French countryside stopping at a roadside mas (farm) that had a brocante sign.
It was the noon hour and the owner told me to return after 2pm. I pleaded my case and told him I was just passing through town and would not be able. He politely apologized and said he was having lunch with his family and I would have to return another time.
Talk about a culture slap.
I’ve come to love the word doucement (gently, slowly) It is how life should be lived.


My store, European Antique Market in Louisville, is where you
will find my visual translation of the Country French lifestyle.
Where my buffet is served.


You'll find me in a pre 1860 Victorian, lovingly referred to as my
Shabby Chateau, complete with turret. Twelve rooms with lots
of cubbies and two outdoor areas, over 3,800 sq. ft., sans the ceiling.


You'll find a bit of everything from faux bamboo to antique
glazed pottery.



Crystal chandeliers and zinc window frames



Iron village crosses that guide your vision upward while iron
chandeliers light the way to the Louis XVI chairs on the ceiling.



You may even find that Parisian store facade that becomes your
next headboard and admire your creativity while reflecting in
a gilt trumeau.


If you find your sense of self becoming too grand, we have larger
mirrors that will accommodate you.

Verbena, lavender water, lots to delight the senses,


and French antique garden urns for your vegetable arrangements.


Petite vassiliers or grand, we have them both,


or you prefer something a bit more Provincial
such as a Glissant Buffet,
we've got it.



If you favor those romantic painted French grays, we have some to offer,


or whitewashed and shabby.


Architectural and Ironstone



Maybe you want unique, like a table made from old French doors
or a pot rack from a ladder.



You desire an 18th century drying rack

or a 20th century Bas Relief Plaster poured
from an antique mold?


We have dozens of demi-johns, all sizes and colors.
Decorate or drink...if only all of life's choices
were so difficult.


You can opt for the silver spoon or porcelain stoppers
to keep your drink fresh.


We hope to give you fresh ideas,
whether it is turning hay feeders upside down,

using Zinc Chateau Window Frames as garden elements,

or old French Shutters propped with corbels for awnings.

We have over a dozen tables Rustic and Italianate,

and the Quimper to top it off.

We have beautiful antique boxes of paper and wood,

Pine and Painted Armoires,

and Passementarie.
The details to emphasize aesthetics,

or hang them on the wall.

So, whether your looking for antique French furniture,
like a 19th C. Louis XV style buffet deux corp,

a conversation piece, like this 19th century,
cast iron lavabo,

or Fun & Funky Brocante,
stop by and check out our buffet.

We are located at 933 Barret Ave. in Louisville
and open Monday thru Saturday,
10 ~ 4 pm

You never know about us, we may just be serving up
Aperitifs!

Be sure and pick up a copy of Victoria, on newsstands
tomorrow.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do the GratiDudette dance.
If you would like to join me, click here.

Sante, Amitie, Amour




69 comments:

Jules said...

Thank goodness you are in the states!
If you were in Australia I would be even more broke than I am now!! I also save all my old copies of Victoria and will have to race of as soon as the new one gets here and look you up. Have been following for a while now>

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Shawn,
I'm so happy for you. Congrats on the Victoria feature! I've always wanted absolutely everything in your store, who wouldn't? Love all the beautiful photos and pieces, now did you say aperitifs? I'll have Suze au naturel, if you please.
Again, congrats!!
xo~Tracie

Jojo said...

Shawn, I was so excited to be flipping through my new issue only to spot your shop as a featured article! Congratulations!

A House and Home said...

Wow! I just found your sit and I am SO impressed. We head to Louisville every couple of years to visit family. You are definitely on the itinerary for the next trip, which unfortunately won't be for a while...boohoo...but maybe just in time for the house to be done. Yay!

Carol Bennett said...

Wow, this shop is beautiful!! How exciting to be in Victoria magazine!!
congrats!
Carol in GA

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi sweet Shawn!!! OMG!!! I'm so happy for you! Victoria magazine has been a delicious treat for so many years, even after it disappeared, I would still enjoy those classically gorgeous old issues ~ AND to be featured inside the new Victoria is so WONDERFUL!!! Of course, they were smart to do so ~ what an amazing and delicious post!!!! Thank you for sharing so many photos with us girl, I love your style ~ hugs and love, Dawn

My Life of Domestic Bliss said...

Shawn, You have been missed! I am glad you are back. Congratulations on Victoria! Can't wait to see it.
Lisa

Tamra said...

I have admired your store for years and have wanted to go there so badly but do not know when I will be able to get back to Louisville (lovely city by the way). So thank you for the many beautiful pictures of your shop!

Congratulations on the article, well deserved in my opinion.

Annie said...

Contratulations on being featured in Victoria Mag! I'm off to score my copy.

KAH said...

Congratulations for being featured in Victoria! Your shop looks amazing and I'm sad that it is on the opposite side of the country.

Funny that you should choose that cover of Victoria for your post. That was the month and year that my husband and I were married in England and I remember that issue well as a great inspiration for our trip. Thank you for the fond memories!

~Kelly

Boxwood Terrace said...

Congratulations! I have not visited your blog before, so I have been missing out. You have lovely things at your shop and I only wish you were in my neighborhood.
Deborah

Amy Chalmers said...

I loved looking through your store. I wish wish wish I lived in Louisville! What a bounty of gorgeous finds you have! Such beautiful taste! Congratulations on being in Victoria Mag next month~I will be getting a copy to share in your success! Following your lovely blog and keeping you on my blog roll so I can see what new delicious things you are up to!

Betsy said...

I will be visiting my daughter in late October, she lives in Big Rock Tn.. She and I will have to make a little side trip.
What beautiful things you have.
I have always wanted a crown, maybe you get those every now and then. I have seen really expensive ones costing well over $100.00 and that is not what I want to spend, I just want a simple little crown.
Love you blog so much.
Betsy

Cindy said...

It's good to see you back! And I love Victoria magazines as well, can't wait to get the newest issue. Really love your store and wish I could just drop by, if only I weren't a few states away. Congratulations again on Victoria!

katie kirby said...

The armoire is so beautiful. If I pass by your way I will be sure to visit

Anne Marie said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

your shop is AWESOME!!! I would love to visit you sometime!! wow!

truly amazed.
xo+blessings,
Anne Marie

irma said...

I love your zinc windows and a lot of beautiful objects!
It'a a regret, I can't look at this magazine.

Mélanie A. said...

Shawn, congratulations. Your boutique is beautiful . Thanks for sharing these wonderful vignettes

patricia@ReFind Home&Garden said...

Oh Dear Shawn, how I have missed your post! Imagine my surprise when I flipped through my Victoria magazine and saw your beautiful shop. I had to read the article over and over again. Sooooooooo wonderful to have you back. My morning coffee and Morning Glory muffin have not been the same. The muffin I refer to is from Gabriel's Desserts aka Paula Deens cousin. Congratulations and much love, Patricia

Bethany said...

There has soooo been something missing from my life over the last year....your amazing awesome sooo inspiring blog!! Oh I'm just gasping...I want to be like Alice and step into my laptop like her looking glass and live in some of these rooms you have created!! You not only have an artful eye and phenominal taste...but the way you see things and put them together in such new and fresh ways....oh man have I ever missed coming by to visit!! All awesome!!

joanna said...

Shawn

Sorry I took so long to comment here, and congratulate you on being featured in Victoria Magazine. I have the first first magazine and been a subscriber every since. I agree with everything you say about following along with the wonderful stories of the women and then stunning photography. It was before blogging.....

So glad you have posted such a lush and lavish post. It is always a delight to see your shop, I could move right in.

You have been gone from blogging too long, missed your posts. Look forward to the Victoria feature article.

Joanny
http://thedowsersdaughter.blogspot.com/

Lee said...

Shawn,
Victoria... discovered what we already knew... Congratulations!!!
Fabulous, Country French Antiques!
Lee
from Expired... Inspiredcomblogulations!

designchic said...

Your shop is beautiful! So many lovely things-I want it all!!

Sarah said...

Just found your site and so happy I have. I feel as if I've just been on a shopping trip to France. I live in TX, but somehow sometime I'm going to make a trip to your shop. Hopefully with a big truck. LOL I'm your latest new follower. Hope you'll post often! ~ Sarah

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

BUEATIFUL post and luv all the treasures for the garden. Thank's for sharing...." J "

Gail @ Victorian at Heart said...

Beautiful post....so inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the Victoria Magazine. If I am ever remotely near your shop, I am taking a side trip. Love it all. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

How amazing! I actually didn't come over from Victoria, I just randomly happened upon your blog! How very exciting, and definitely well-deserved, your shop is amazing! Happy to be your newest follower, will definitely be back!

Lisa & Alfie said...

Hi Shawn,
Have been trying to get over here since I saw your article. And it's about time as there is absolutely no one who does it as well as you. Congrats!
xoxo
Lisa & Alfie

Simple CCB said...

How exciting for you - Congratulations!! I love your collection and your style! If I am ever in the area I will be sure to stop by- you may have given me another reason to take a trip :)

Di Overton said...

Lovely to see you back and congratulations on your Victoria feature. I miss your lovely posts - do more

time worn interiors said...

Hello Shawn! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Victoria! Congrats on the article!
Theresa

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

OH MY! So happy I found you!!!!!!! SO HAPPY INDEED!

laura/Verbena nested treasures said...

Hi Shawn You deserve to be in Victoria!!!! Everything you present is always amazing & so beautiful...you are one of my favorite visual blogs with the best pictures..Can't wait to get my copy...Congratulations! xoxo Laura

Jann said...

Your store continues to radiate beauty! I am going to make it up your way soon~everythng in the shop is absolutely gorgeous and so "Frenchie". Congrats on the article with Victoria.......you deserve it!

La Petite Gallery said...

Marvelouis things. I bet the shipping cost is more than some
cost of the items. You look like you are having a wonderful time.

yvonne

Unknown said...

oh, I hope I am not to late to get a copy. Am a long time fan of Victoria Magazine -back to the 1st issue. No one is a bigger fan of your talent, taste and success than me. Congrats...

Karen

Kristeena McQueen said...

Bravo!
Comment allez-vous? Enchante!
Je m'appelle Kristeena McQueen**
luv tis entry, im trying to make my home look like tis =]

La Petite Gallery said...

Had to come back to see those Zink window frames. They are so wonderful, I'd like to hold them in my lap. LOL

yvonne

Herman Grans ♥ said...

Wow! So many beautiful things and pictures. Really like your blog. Greetings Grete, from Norway

Susan Street said...

Congratulations on your splendid feature in Victoria magazine. Personally I wish you had your own magazine. I would keep every copy! Thank you for sharing via your blog. It is the bright spot in my day and I visit often just to rest my work weary eyes.

Susan Street

Sherry Hicks said...

I lived in Jeffersonville Indiana when ages 6-9 and my belated Great Grandmother lived in Louisville, I loved it there and adored her. I may just have to take a drive from Texas to Louisville to visit your shop and also drive by our old house and my Grannies old house I have never been back since, I love your shop. Absolutely Beautiful!
Sherry

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Oh My, How I have missed your posting. Did you realise we missed you? My Dear, the white wall unit behind the round table stopped me in my tracks!! If only I had a wall large enough to handle it in my small cottage. I'm off today to get the magazine can't wait to see your story.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

kathee said...

What a beautiful shop you have! I will be putting Louisville, Kentucky on my must see places. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. I will be adding you to my sidebar as one of my Fav blogs! Come over and say hello, I'm new to blogging! chateauetjardin.blogspot.com thanks, kathee

Bohemian said...

I just discovered your beautiful Blog OMG, I love it ALL!!! *SWOON* Travels to France, an old Victorian and being featured in an all time fav magazine of mine VICTORIA... favor is certainly smiling upon you. I want to congratulate you on your success, it is no wonder they got around to profiling you, this is a taste of France we were waiting and hungry for!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Lizabeth said...

Wow, I love your pictures and everything in them! I would love to visit some day! What fun for you getting to travel to France and bring home such great treasures! Lovely displays....Liz, Traverse City, MI

La Petite Gallery said...

Aren't you lucky to get featured.
I am in Maine , if you were closer I would be there. Every display is beautiful.

yvonne

Akissfromthepast said...

Great pictures! i love allmost all in your blog! great style!!

Harry Hilders said...

You are so lucky to be able to be surrounden by all these antique stuff. And pictures you made are beatiful.

Anna said...

You have a lot of amazing treasures! All the best;)

La Petite Gallery said...

Nov.14, 2010
I can only say you have such style and wonderful items. I love to scroll your post.

Happy Thanksgiving.
yvonne

La Petite Gallery said...

Nov.14, 2010
I can only say you have such style and wonderful items. I love to scroll your post.

Happy Thanksgiving.
yvonne

Anonymous said...

Someday, I will go to Kentucky and visit your store because it is simply beautiful.

an angel at my table said...

I want to have everything you are showing. Lovely.France is the best for old antiques.


Tanks and Merry Christmas,

Greetings from snowy sweden

Lize said...

TREASURES!
All of it!
Congratulations on being featured in Victoria... a long time favourite!

Cindy said...

Oh! I discovered your blog and I'm thrilled!! what a pleasure for the eyes! a taste of everything is so perfect ... I'll be back! uh ... excuse my English ... they are reminiscent of my high school years!!
Bye.
Cindy
http://comtessedesegur.canalblog.com/

La Petite Gallery said...

Happy New Year. How I wish I could drive a truck there and get some of these wonderful items. Drop over sometime and see me.. yvonne

Unknown said...

I love all your antiques in your store! They are all beautiful and elegant.

Melissah said...

I'm an interior designer from Melbourne, Australia - I loved your blog, I found it very inspiring. This is all new to me but I have just set up my own blog
scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com
You may like to check it out because I had so much fun doing it.
Thanks for providing me with such great entertainment!
Cheers
Melissah

fialka012 said...

Velmi krásné...

audur skula said...

Big fan of your blog... very inspiring, thank you.
congratulations on the Victoria magazine article !
I bought this magazine few year ago and loved it then.

Richard Cottrell said...

Good luck with the magazine. Love your blog and shop. I am gona be feathered in Victorian Homes magazine , they took the pictures in Oct. I have a blog you might like to visit. www.myoldhistorichouse.blogspot.com

Mitzi Curi said...

Oh my, this is my first visit here and I'm just flabbergasted at all of the gorgeous images! You have such great stuff, I wish I could visit in person and enjoy your "buffet"! I'll be looking forward to seeing your feature in Victoria.

mary anne said...

Bienvenue Shawn!

So excited to have found you. My interior design style change after I had been to France,re: Limoge, Paris, Aux-en-provence,Sur la Sorge and so many more wonderful places in that wonderful and magical area of the world.

I so love what you have created and I plan on visiting you when the weather gets better. I too owned a shop and shopped the French Brocantes and I was never ever the same!!! Nor was my shop!

I am now one of your new followers and can't wait for your next post!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos said...

So thrilled to have found you. I'm enjoying looking through all your beautiful photos. Is your shop open to the public? If so, I'll be making a road trip soon :)

VINTAGE HOME lifestyle said...

Congrats on your Victoria feature! I still have all my copies from the 90's. I was so happy to see them come back. Your shoppe is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with those of us that can only dream of going to visit.
ox...Cathleen

Atelier de Campagne said...

What a beautiful collection! We definitely have similar taste. I'm sure our paths have crossed in the South of France.
Cheers!
Trinidad

stephanie said...

Wow these pics are fantastic, so impressed with this site, thanks for sharing. Particularly love the living room picture, just gorgeous furniture.

Bratenella said...

Found your blog by chance....love it and just had to tell you this playlist is AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

Your antiques showroom is one of the finest I have ever visited. I would like to emphasize the way you have suggestions for everything under the sun like upturned feeders.
Inessa Stewart Antiques