Wednesday, January 27, 2010

esprit collectif

It was time.
Time to visit the French Antiquariess again.

As I navigated my way through the
chaos of the city streets,
my thoughts were constantly interrupted by the
empty sounds of daily life.
Flashing lights, blaring horns, revving engines
and bypassers conversations
of last nights, prime time shows. All like notes on
a sheet of music that had no melody, no meaning.
My soul needed a sanctuary.


I found my stride gaining pace.
Was it spontaneous order OR my wanting to escape it?

Breathing out of sync, I finally arrive at
her doorstep puffing.



A welcome site. The hand that always calls
for me to reach out and grasp it.
The hand that appears so delicate and fragile,
yet endures time.
A fitting introduction to Madame Antiquariess,
I think to myself.


I don't know that I have ever been so aware
of the "moment of relief".
There was no need for immediate conversation.
Madame Antiquariess was quite familiar
with the routine.
Glancing at the clock, I noticed my time of arrival, 10:55.


As I browsed the shop, my wine in hand, the only
sound was that of the clock, softly ticking.
So quiet, why so quiet?
Random moments, when I was aware of
Madame, she would acknowledge me with an approving smile.


As my eyes marveled at Madame's communication
skills, I heard her whisper in my mind,
"the eyes see only what the mind is prepared
to comprehend".
Still, it was so very quiet.


Eyes shut, by the light of a candle,
I succomb to the stories
my fingertips reveal to me.



As my fingers follow the lines of the Louis XVI table,
I loose my sense of self. 
The French Spirit starts to envelop me.
Like the antique pieces
before me,
my soul becomes a part of the vignette.
Each one enhancing the beauty of the collective.

Picking up each intaglio, and then the next,
I notice I make no sound.

Like the artist's hand that chisled the intaglio's,
I want to consciously create that which is me,
and like the signatured boxes that hold them,
 I need a safe haven at times, from the journey.


Madame, is it coincidence that the Eiffel Tower
points to the heavens?
Are there such things as coincidence?


Madame, is it frivolous of me to think that
such things would have meaning?
Are they merely the result of mortals attempting
to achieve immortality?


Madame Antiquariess was silent.
Her silence only magnified the stillness.

A wonderful place to capture the French Spirit.

Spinning around in a frantic, I realized
that time had escaped me. I was sure at least
an hour had passed.
Bises for Madame while hurriedly fetching my coat,
I turned to check the time.
The hands of the clock had not moved, 10:55.

As I left my santuary and closed the door
behind me, I was greeted by the sounds and
distractions of everyday life.
It was so quiet there, I recalled, but
I do remember reading somewhere,
there is no sound in space.

Melanie of Le Petit Cabinet de Curiosites, asked how I would
define the French Spirit.
I have attempted to do that with this post.
For me, when I am in France or around
French antiques, I always feel as if I am a
part of something larger than myself.

Merci beaucoup to James XVI of Garvinweasel
for passing the Kreative Blogger award my way.
That post will come later, perhaps.

Bisou for now
photos via Rocaille Gallerie

42 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG the table in the second picture is totally gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

georgeous blog! xo.

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so lovely. I am not very knowledgeable about things French, but that was beautiful. Hope things are going good for you. A little snow and slush I guess? Blessings
QMM

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. BTW, why don't you change design :).

My Vintage Treasures said...

Is this place for REAL???
HEAVEN :)

dollystar said...

the exuberance of these pieces invite us to redecorate the house

Country French Antiques said...

QMM..snow is coming tomorrow. YEAH!!

Anon...I thought antiques were quite fitting for the subject.
Glad you enjoyed

YES VTreasures, it is real
Rocaille-Gallerie in Hong Kong
Link is in the post.
Isn't it FABULOUS!!

Mélanie said...

Shawn , gorgeous post . I love everythin in this shop ! I alreay told you for me you are the ambassador of France and french spirit

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a gorgeous, beautifully written post...just breathtaking. xxoo, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Thank you for another mental lift,
it's as if I can't read this fast enough, yet, I always slow myself down to savour the moment. I adore floating through your unbelieveable posts and can't wait for the next.
xo loreli

Anonymous said...

thank you for the mental lift. I can't read these posts fast enough, yet, I always slow myself down to savour every word and picture.It's like floating outside of reality..thank you for the unbelievable beauty. I'm always looking forward to the next one!
xo loreli

red ticking said...

so fabulous... i think i am addicted to anything gray...
thank you for this lovely post. x pam

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

BEAUTIFL WORDS...magnificent images.
Such a treat this is. Very special light you had.

THANK YOU.

** Can you tell me what camera you used...I have never seen such DEPTH in indoor images before.


Rose
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/

Lee said...

I am buying grey stain today!! Thank you for the inspiration...your the bomb!
Lee

Color and Style said...

Great post, love the antiques
Thank you for sharing

Jacobs Baby Botanicals said...

Thank you for the simply lovely images and script.

donna baker said...

Beautiful. And, in reading your blog I noticed I also have a daughter named Cady.

LENE said...

Hi
I'm so excited for your very nice comment on my blog, many thanks! I have great respect for what you do and has been a regular reader of your blog for a long time, so your comment means a lot to me.
I love your blog and especially your beautiful antiques - and the French soul/spirit. Would love to come to Kentucky and buy anything with me to Norway:)
Wish you a wonderful weekend!
xx
Lene

joseph said...

i am an antique art lover from US. came across this blog just today. the collection in the post looks awesome and gorgeous.

joanna said...

Shannon

You always inspire me with your uncanny knack with words and the pairing of your photographs have an elemental presence. The antiques take on a life of there own quite separate from their former owners and makers in space & time that seem miraculous in the circumstances. There is a sense of clinging to life in the midst of a kind of eternity.
It draws one in to get lost in the fantasy of it all.
on a lesser note . .
What are those tall inverted glass & wood? hanging Lanterns? called they are in several photos and appear in the first one with the Mora tall clock in the background and it is in the fore ground? Love them for their architectural beauty and patina. They have an aura of timelessness about them.
and thank you for the kind mention in your blog on the sidebar for my blog..
Joanny
the dowsers daughter.

Vår sekelskiftes-dröm said...

Hello! It's a very nice and lovely Country French Antiques style. If you want to you can take a look at our Swedish country home.
Love Anette

La Petite Gallery said...

Just stopped in to take another peep at the fantastic sofa.

i had a small door knocker with a hand. Fabulous

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Your photos show a great asorment of garden antiques and bueatiful gardens and flowers. thank you so much .

Herself said...

What an absolutely beautiful post! My very first time to visit you and I'm swept away to France!

Di Overton said...

So sorry for not being around much lately, manic busy with new Ghost stuff.
Am taking some time today to do the rounds of the blogs and catch up - refreshing the soul
Much Love
Di
x
PS Your posts always inspire me and at that moment I really need inspiration

My Galveston Cottage said...

What gorgeous finds! And what soothing, inspirational way to spend some time. -s

D.E. said...

Oh so truely amazing. I love your blog it's always a treat. Hope you click on by and visit me. I have a new blog. Blessings, DE

annie said...

I'd lose myself and never come back...
annie

crochetdaheloisa.blogspot said...

Hi
Eu tenho um blog de artesanato em geral, mas adoro vir aqui no seu cantinho ver as novidades e me inspirar. Mesmo morando no Brasil ( Florianopolis) eu adoro fazer-te essas visitas no blog.Parabens Heloisa

verousa said...

I discover your gorgeous blog!!!

Southern Aspirations said...

What an incredible place.. what a respite from the "regular" world. Gorgeous images! I want to redo everything in my house (almost!).

Jann said...

I had goose bumps scrolling down,waiting to see what beauty was coming next....I did savour each moment of viewing your gorgeous photographs.....

Unknown said...

I am still holding my breath, speechless. I do not watch horror movies but I can only equate it with that of holding ones breath waiting for what is going to happen next, what's right around the corner. In a complete flip, I was holding my breath with each photo, one more enchanting than the other!
you are the best...
Karen

Annie said...

Your store is so beautiful..I think I would just like to move in!! I am hoping to go to Paris this summer with a friend, but in the mean time, your blog does the trick....

Trisha said...

Loved this post and the pictures are fabulous!

Back Home Cottage said...

Hey, you are not so far away. I'd love to make a trip to your shop!

Dore said...

Oh My!!
It is a site to behold...After looking at your blog site I need to be resuscitated...I want to move into every picture.

Pack it up I will take it all :)

Dore

Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Yikes, are there really such beautiful things in all one place?!

I'm happy I found your blog, and I'll be back!

Gina Johnson said...

I'll take one of everything......bliss....

Elise Valdorcia said...

Hi Shawn,

I realize only now that the 2 lanterns are the ones We have created with my husband. The world is so little.I am really touched...
kiss
Elise valdorcia

Bohemian said...

This shop is amazing... I could wander all day through such eye candy... I want it ALL! *WINK*


Dawn... The Bohemian