Wednesday, September 17, 2008

la ligne invisible

Several years after leaving my corporate job to pursue my
passion, I was taking part in a survey. I came across the
question...
How do you spend your free time?
I stared at the question, a big grin came across my face,
and I felt my heart lighten. You know, one of those
Ahhhh moments.
So foreign to me now, to separate my time into
categories.
I realized that line, that line we draw to separate the
dimensions of our life, had become invisible.
I love life when those lines that separate dimensions
become murky and invisible!
That is why I love Country French!



Country French design really has no lines that
define it, other than having a French influence.
It is more a lifestyle. A blending of
"Good French Things " in life.
Country French can be a chateau in a rural area
or a quaint cottage in centre ville.
Where statues worthy of a queen's glance can
share space with slat wood chairs.
A place where the line between interior and
exterior blend.


It is an appreciation of nature and being surrounded by
the color of her beauty.

Where there are no dimensions of time.
French antiques share
the stage with artisan works of today.
Where there exists a simplistic style

or a style that displays more sides of personality.

It is a dimension where memories are intertwined with today.

A style where aging patinas are respected and admired.

and rules are non-existent.

A place where tattered walls can display the finest
gilt or be an accessory to the rustic.

Country French is a decorating style that allows
you to sit at a chippy iron garden table, under
the glow of a fancy crystal dripping chandelier, and
share a glass of vintage wine with a good friend.
It is a style that encourages you to be yourself and enjoy
all "Good French Things".
A style where those lines that separate the dimensions
of you, become invisible.
Country French is the "Joie de Vivre".
My wish for all is that you experience a touch
of Country French in your life !!

Bisou mes ami's

PS. Just a little note to say I am a bit behind with
monitoring Sitemeter. I love to share links with
other blogs and if I have overlooked you and you
would like to be added to my blogroll, PLEASE
send me an email and I will be glad to exchange
links with you! Merci




16 comments:

sandra/tx said...

Welcome back online, Shawn. Great post as always. Even nicer to view your wonderful pics with Enya in the background. :-)

LiLi M. said...

We have that saying: 'Living like God in France.'
No not like God in heaven, but God in France. It means that you are really enjoying life at the best. In France of course! Could it be anywhere else?

Thanks for another inspiring post!

Ewa said...

Oh Shawn,
I love this post. It describes so well what is French decorating and lifestyle. It exactly applies to gardens as well.
Greetings,
Ewa

Mélanie said...

I love to read your state of mind about country french style !
You are the queen of CFS ...
***BRAVO ***

Anonymous said...

I can always count on you to provide great pictures that transport me to the South of France and remind we why I so love that style :)

Merci!

Kathleen Ellis said...

Lovely post, Shawn...you've really covered the French Country Lifestyle...in all it's glorious variations! That's what makes it so appealing...there are so many different ways to enjoy it. The look/lifestyle is timeless yet current...elegant yet casual...simple yet not plain!
I love it!!!
And...I love that you can now live with the blurred lines of "work" & "enjoyment"...how AWESOME!

Love Your Homes said...

Dear Shawn, anyone saying less is more, could never understand the exitement in the warmth of decoration. I am so with you, in all these picture. The style in a never-ending story, thanks Ingela

Di Overton said...

Oh you have such a way with words and pictures. Beautiful post as always

Suzanne MacCrone Rogers • Italian Girl in Georgia™ said...

Your writing is just fabulous and of course, the photos you post are too! My favorite line was that "there are no rules" in Country French design...so true!

Ciao amica,

Suzanne

Barb said...

Hi Shawn,

The country French world was given a gift when you left the corporate world. Your taste, and passion are very contagious.

have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

HI shawn
once again a fabulous blog Just when I need inspiration.
Karen

cathyswatercolors said...

Just another fabulous,inspirational post... and just in time for this weekends antique show (hope it's a good one)Wish I lived closer to your shop:O)

patricia@ReFind Home&Garden said...

Shawn, I have been reading your blog for quite some time and I just had to post and say thank you, thank you, thank you !!! Your post is breathtaking and awe inspiring each and every time. It is truly wonderful and so are you! warmest regards, Patricia

Millie said...

Oh Shawn I haven't quite managed to do the invisible line thing! There's still too much of a gap between balance sheets, forecasting & analysis & pursuing my passion - but thanks so much for reminding me to keep focussed & moving toward my dream!

Your description of French Country style is so beautiful, it truly made my heart sing.
Millie ^_^

Anonymous said...

One question- When is the book coming out?? I mean c'mon. The photos and styling are fantastic. I'll be your agent- 10%- deal??
:)
D.

MARIA said...

Dear Shawn.
I am so glad you followed your bliss and also made the decision to share it with us. By the way, many thanks for joining and you did it again, swept my feet away.
Maria